Make Altered Books using your old books!
I made my first altered book when I was 18 and haven’t stopped since! I love old books and find it very hard to believe that a lot of them make their way to landfills while we buy new blanks to create scrapbooks. I am a die hard recycling nut and so whenever I can, I try to incorporate things I already have in my art.
In this workshop you will learn how to use any old hardbound book from the thrift store and turn it into a marvellous scrapbook for yourself! You will learn how to prepare the book, different painting techniques that can be used to transform the pages and so much more!
We’ll use everything from paint to bubble wrap, fibers to images cut out from old books and ofcourse we will use a LOT of glue.
This is the perfect project to do when you want to try out some fun new mixed media techniques and want to create a truly unique keepsake. This is a perfect activity for summer months and teen parties too! What are you waiing for? I’ll see you in the videos!
Here are some short clips and images from the class
The Lesson Plan
In this mini class we’ll start from scratch.
- First we will repare your book by treating the pages.
- After the ase is created we will move on to adding paint and embellishments to the pages. You will learn how to use unusual household supplies to paint – so roll up your sleeves and get ready to have some fun with acrylic paints!
- We’ll go over ways to incorporate fun embellishments to your pages.
- Next up we will start adding ephemera into the book. We will use everything from ld book images to fibers and more!
- You’ll learn to create everal different kinds of pockets to store all your treasures.
- Find images and embellishments in unexpected places like old picture books and fun painting tools you never expected!
Why an Online Class ?
- If you want to learn how to make a scrapbook or how to make a memory book suing old books this course is for you. Altered books make the best scrapbooks!
- You will learn how to turn an old book into a fun and interactive altered book and scrapbook. A book that will reveal marvels at every turn.
- Online courses are so much fun because you can learn at your own pace and in the comfort of your own home. May we suggest a tasty beverage and pajamas? Perhaps on your favorite chair? Or even in your studio at our craft table? You can take online classes anywhere you want!
- You also have lifetime access to the video course and can come back to watch it and rewatch it anytime you want.
- You can ask as many questions as you want on the course page and I will always do my best to answer your questions as best as I can.
- Join a fun community of makers and creators and share your work and learn from others!
- In this course you will have access to a video class that will walk you through all the different techniques from painting the pages to adding embellishments, making pockets and more! So join me and make your own altered book!
Tips and Tricks You’ll Learn!
- Learn how to make your own memory book from scratch. In this course you’ll learn:
- To create one of a kind altered book
- To incorporate unusual painting tools in your page layouts
- How to create everal different kinds of pockets
- How to use images from old books as embellishments
- To incorporate trims, punches and more to create unusual layouts
- How to use old books and found images in your books
- How to make a handmade book that is an incredible keepsake and gift!